OFFICE OF THE PR.CONTROLLER OF DEFENCE ACCOUNTS (PENSIONS)
DRAUPADI GHAT, ALLAHABAD- 211014
Subject: Simplification of Pension procedure for permanently disabled children/siblings and dependent parents.
Ref: This office circular No.505 dated 17.01.2013 and Circular 33 dated 09.11.1987
A copy of GOI, MOD letter No.1 (7)/2013-D(Pension/Policy) dated 15.05.2015 on the above subject is forwarded herewith for information and necessary action which is self explanatory.
2. In terms of GOI, MOD letter dated 15.05.2015, the Pension Disbursing Agencies will make payment of Ordinary family pension as per prescribed procedure laid down in ibid Govt. letter in case the name(s) of dependents of the deceased including dependent disabled children have been endorsed in the Pension Payment Orders (PPOs). In other words, in such cases Pension Disbursing Agencies should start payment to the dependents directly without referring it to Pension Sanctioning Authorities.
3. In those cases where the names of dependents have not been found endorsed in the Pension Payment Order, the claim for endorsement of name for notification of Ordinary Family Pension through Corrigendum PPO will be processed and forwarded to Pension Sanctioning Authorities through Army Headquarter/ Record Office concerned in the case of Commissioned Officer and JCOs/ OR respectively.
4. A copy of this circular along with GOI,MOD letter No.1(7)/2013-D(Pension/Policy) dated 15.05.2015 is also available on the website of this office www.pcdapension.nic.in .
5. Please acknowledge receipt.
No.1 (7)/20 13-D (Pension/Policy)
Government of India
Ministry of Defence
Department of Ex-Servicemen Welfare
Dated: 15th May 2015
The Chief of the Army Staff
The Chief of the Naval Staff
The Chief of the Air Staff
SUBJECT: Simplification of Pension process for permanently disabled children/ siblings and dependent parents
The undersigned is directed to refer to the provisions contained in the GOI, MOD letter No N4960i/ AG/PS-4 (e)/3363/BID(Pen/Ser) dated 27.08.1987 as modified vide this Ministry's letter No. 906//AID(Pen/Ser)/05 dated 13.08.2008 and No 02(03)/2010-D(pen/Policy) dated 17th January 2013 of the Department of Ex Servicemen Welfare regarding grant of Pension to old parents and disabled children/sibling after the death of the pensioners/family pensioner. Certain difficulties are being experienced for grant of such pension. The matter has been examined and it has been decided to further streamline the process of grant of pension to old parents/disabled children sibling as under. The employee/pensioner/family pensioner may, at any time before or after retirement! death of Armed Force Personnel, make a request to the Appointing Authority seeking advance approval for grant of family pension for life to a permanently disabled child/sibling in terms of provisions contained in GOI, MOD Letter No.- N49601/ AG/PS4(e)/3363/B/D (pension/Services) dated 27.08.1987 as amended vide GOI, MOD Letter No. 906/- AID(Pen/Ser)/0-.5 dated.lLfl8.2008,.which are reproduced-as under:
2. Before allowing the family pension for life to any such son or daughter, the appointing authority shall satisfy that the handicap is of such a nature so as to prevent him or her from earning his or her livelihood and the same shall be evidenced by a certificate obtained from a Medical Board comprising of a Medical Superintendent or a Principal or a Director or Head of the Institution or his nominee as Chairman and two other members, out of which at least one shall be a Specialist in the particular area of mental or physical disability including mental retardation setting out, as far as possible, the exact mental or physical condition of the child. As per GOI, MOD Letter No.- PNI79951D(pen/P01)/2010 dated 01.10.2010, the family Pension to the dependent disabled siblings shall be payable if the siblings were wholly dependent upon the Armed Force Personnel immediately before his or her death and deceased Armed Force Personnel is not survived by a widow or an eligible child or eligible parents.
3(a). In terms of GOL MOD Letter No. B/38207/AG/PS4/931/B/D(Pen/Ser)dated 6;08:-39_98 the family pension to the parents shall be payable if the parents were wholly dependent on the Armed force Personnel immediately before his or her death and the deceased Armed force Personnel is not survived by a widow or an eligible child.
(b) Further as per GO!, MOD Letter No, 1(3)/99/D(Pension/Services) dated 24.11.1999 the family pension, wherever admissible to parents, will be payable to the mother of the deceased Armed force Personnel failing which to the father of the deceased Armed Force Personnel.
4. On acceptance of such a request, the appointing authority will immediately issue a sanction order for grant of family Pension to such children/sibling/ dependent parents on their turn. No further authorization for grant of family pension to the disabled child/sibling/dependent parents would be required. The appointing authority and Record Office concerned will maintain the details of such disabled child/siblings/ dependent parents in the service book and Sheet roll of the Commissioned Officer JCOs/ORs to enable prompt processing of such requests. On the basis of this approval, the permanently disabled child/siblings/dependent parents will be authorized to receive family pension at the appropriate time, i.e., after the death of pensioner and/or after the death/ineligibility of any other member in the family eligible to receive family pension prior to the disabled children/siblings/dependent parents, as explained in the succeeding paragraphs.
5. The name(s) of permanently disabled child /children/ siblings and/ or dependent parents may be added to the PPO issued to the retiring Armed Force Personnel if there is no other eligible prior claimant for family pension other than the spouse. No fresh PPO need to be issued in such cases and the family pension will be payable by the pension disbursing authority in the following order and the following manner:
i). To the spouse- on the death of the pensioner- on production of death certificate of pensioner. This family pension will continue till death or remarriage of spouse. In the case of a childless widow, the family pension may continue even after her re- marriage as per rules.
ii) To the permanently disabled child/children - on the death / re-marriage of spouse- on production of such death certificate/ remarriage-intimation. Family pension to the spouse will be discontinued and family pension would be allowed by the PDA for life for permanently disabled children in the order prescribed in AI 51/80
iii) To the dependent parents- first mother, then farther - when claimants in (i) and (ii) die or become ineligible - on production of death certificate/remarriage- intimation of spouse and/or death certificates of all permanently disabled children, family pension would be allowed by the PDA to dependent parents. This family pension would continue till death of the dependent parents.
iv) To the permanently disabled siblings- when family pension to all above ceases to be payable on account of death/re-marriage - on production of death certificates/ remarriage- intimation as applicable, the family pension will be allowed by PDA to the permanent disabled siblings.
6. For all other cases where there are other eligible prior claimants to family pension-in accordance with AI 51/80, the names of disabled child/children/dependent parents/ permanently disabled sibling will be added to the PPO issued to the preceding eligible family pensioner, based on the authorization made as in Para 3 above. Family pension to these permanently disabled child /children /siblings /dependent parents will be payable after the death/ineligibility of the prior claimant, as the case may be.
7. The authorization as indicated above shall be made in the PPO or by issuing a revised PPO if a child, parents or siblings is authorized for family pension after issue of the PPO. The revised pro shall take the usual route to the Pensiond Disbursing Authority. The Pension Disbursing Authority shall start disbursing family pension to the permanently disabled child/sibling or dependent parents after the death of the pensioner/spouse/other family pensioner, as the case may be, on the basis of the PPO Irevised PPO, approval of the appointing authority and the death certificates(s) of the pensioner and other family pensioners and the self-certificate for income.
8. Such an authorization shall become invalid in case a person becomes member of family after issue/amendment of such PPO and is entitled to family pension prior to the disabled child/sibling/dependent parents at the time of the death of the Pensioners/spouse. For-example, the pensioner may marry/remarry after the death of first spouse or adopt a child. Such spouse/child may be eligible for family pension at the time of death of the pensioner or death/ineligibility of the spouse. A child adopted by the spouse of the pensioner shall not be treated as a member of the Family of the deceased pensioner. A decision regarding grant of family, pension in such cases will be taken by the appointing authority in accordance with provisions of Al 51/80.
9. In order to facilitate the prompt payment of the family pension in such cases, Armed Force Personnel/pensioners/their spouses may open a bank account of such children/siblings/parents and submit the same to the Pension Sanctioning authority through the appointing authority for inclusion in the PPO /revised PPO.
10. This issues with the concurrence of the finance Division of this Ministry vide their UO No. 10(01)/2015/FIN/PEN dated 24.03.2015.
Under Secretary to the Govt. of India